Thursday, April 21, 2016
John Moldovan is the 2016 Kenilworth Chess Club Champion, on tiebreaks over Life Master Mark Kernighan.
John is just the 2nd non-Master to win the title in the club's 34-year history.
Geoff McAuliffe was 3rd.
Joe Renna won the Reserve Section.
Thursday, March 17, 2016
A reminder: The 25th annual Kenilworth Chess Club Championship starts tonight.
Here are the tournament details:
- 2 sections: Championship & Reserve
- G/75 with 5 second delay time control.
- Rounds will commence at 8:30 p.m. on March 17, 24 & 31 + April 14 & 21.
- Postponed games from Rounds 1-3 will be made-up on April 7th. Postponed games from rounds 4-5 or 4-7 will be made-up on April 28th.
- Cost: $10 entry fee + dues + $5 anti-forfeit deposit = $35 for most players.
- KCC membership is required. Dues for 2016 are $10 for age 17 or less, $10 for those age 65+, $20 for everyone else.
- Prizes: Trophies to winners of each section. Other trophies (based on the number of participants) to be awarded.
- Register with Treasurer Geoff McAuliffe during our 3/3 and 3/10 meetings or before 8:25 p.m. on 3/17 @ Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J.
- The Tournament Committee reserves the right to make changes as are deemed necessary for the good maintenance of the tournament.
9 players took part in last year's event.
Round by round coverage of the tournament will be posted on the KCC Tournaments blog and/or the Chess Coroner blog.
Monday, January 11, 2016
Leon Hrebinka Memorial Swiss
February 4-25, 2016
- 4-round Swiss.
- Time Control: G/55+5 second increment.
- Site: Kenilworth Community Center, 575 Boulevard, Kenilworth, N.J. 07033
- 1 game per week.
- Rounds to start at 8:30 p.m. on February 4, 11, 18 & 25.
- Please register with Geoff McAuliffe or John Moldovan during our January meetings or before 8:25 p.m. on February 4th.
- 1 half-point bye per player allowed. Must commit before the end of round 2.
- Late-joins accepted until round 2 is paired.
- Entry fee: $5.
- Prize fund: 100% of EF minus rating fee.
- Number of prizes (b/10 entries): 3. More players = more prizes.
- Projected prizes (b/10 entries): $20 1st, $15 2nd, $10 U1800.
- Players must have a valid USCF membership that is active through to the final date of the tournament.
- The Tournament Committee reserves the right to make changes as are deemed necessary for the good maintenance of the tournament as allowed by USCF rules.
- A non-rated section will be added if we get at least 4 players requesting one.
Photo credit: Joe Renna